What Are the Black Keys on a Piano Called?

by jack
(lakecity tn)

What are the black keys called?


Hi, Jack--

The black keys are referred to as "Sharps" or "Flats", depending on your reference point. Each black key has 2 names.

For example, if you start on "D", the black key to the right is called "D Sharp". If you start on "E", however, and go to the left, that same black key will be called "E Flat".

You will want to check out our Absolutely Free Piano Lessons. You will find tons of free lessons and other valuable resources.


Save Up to 95% in the Price Cuts Section of the MusiciansFriend.com Outlet Store

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask Piano Questions.