G-Sharp or A Flat?

by Sarah

Well, you know the flat/sharp 'black notes? I am confused about what to call the ones that have three in a row. Would I call the middle one: G Sharp or A Flat?


Hi, Sarah--

It depends on what key you are in. For example if you are in the key of E Major, it is G#. But if you are in E flat MAjor, It is Ab.

A good way to know is to learn the key signatures. You can find free help at:

https://www.may-studio-music-lessons.com/music-key-signatures.html (For Sharp Keys)


https://www.may-studio-music-lessons.com/music-key-signature.html (For Flat Keys)

For a free comprehensive study of music theory:



Comments for G-Sharp or A Flat?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 07, 2018
Thank you
by: Anonymous

Thanks so much

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask Piano Questions.