Cymbal Techniques

What is the notation and name for striking a cymbal
quickly, causing it to slowly increase volume and then


The technique is better described, I think, as one which minimizes the amount of time that the stick is in contact with the cymbal.

Instead of striking the cymbal from a distance on the down stroke, strike at the point where the down stroke turns into the upsweep away from the cymbal.

This causes a burst of sound which quickly dies back down to a normal crash volume. The surge in sound is due to increased high frequency response.

I don't think the technique has a specific name--at least I have never heard of one.

As far as notation--even the most detailed percussion notation does not really address the "how" of the cymbal strike, though sometimes the "where" is notated.

Best Wishes!


Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask Drum Questions.